The Finished Product

I finally got around to taking pictures of my dress.  Here it is.



Now off to my next project: a loose replica of this dress – the one Susan’s wearing.  I’m currently thinking that I’m going to make the dress in a chocolate brown linen and the underdress in a tan or khaki, since I can’t find that shade of green in a linen.  I’m open to color suggestions. 🙂


It’s Done!

I finished it.  My dress is done.  I figured out the fitting problems with the help of a very sweet friend, and it wasn’t as hard as I thought.  The longest part was all the seam ripping. 🙂  I hope to have pictures of it soon.

I Turned on the Computer to Post…

…but I got distracted looking at movie costume sites.  Something I love to do.

Today I pulled out my dishes to look at them.  I love transfer ware.  So I am collecting it.  I don’t have all that much yet, but I am hoping to find more at thrift stores.

Of course I took pictures.


This is one of my favorites.  It is a little dessert plate.


Another of my favorites.  Same company as the dessert plate.


I know this isn’t transfer ware,  but I like it a lot.



Another Crazy Day…

Well, it’s been another crazy/busy/normal day.  I sewed in the morning, painted in the afternoon, and now am sewing in-between posting now.  We’re getting hardwood put in upstairs next week (Yay!), so we are painting all the trim and what rooms we can before the floor gets installed.  My brother and I have been painting my old room blue and orange (it’s quite bright). 

My dress is almost done, which is the good news.  The bad news is that I made the holes in the back for the rivets too big in some places, and in others I didn’t hammer in the rivets correctly (it has proven quite difficult), so I’m having problems.  Thankfully, If I ever have to redo the whole thing, it’s a fairly easy piece to replace.  Tomorrow I just need to hem the dress and put the trim on. 

I sewed the lower sleeves on today (the big, full part) and it’s almost wearable.  No pictures now (no time today:)), but hopefully soon!


The Dress

I’ve been wanting to post all week, but have been so busy that I haven’t found the time. 🙂

My dress is coming along quite nicely, especially because I have the lining in (I don’t like lining).

Right now I have to finish the lower sleeves, finish the back, hem it, and put the trim on.  I should be able to finish it this week, Lord willing.


O.K., not the best picture.  The sleeve is just pinned on there.



Lately I’ve been sewing.  I’ve had this project all lined up for awhile, but I finally just pulled it out and really started working on it.

I am making a medieval dress loosely based on Susan’s Coronation Gown from the Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  You can see a picture of it here.

The body of my dress is going to be an off-white crushed velvet, and the bottom part of the sleeves is going to be a light periwinkle blue shantung.  It is going to have those big, sweeping sleeves, which I am so excited about.

I have all the pieces cut out, except the interfacing because I didn’t have enough.  I am glad that the cutting is all done.  Now I can get to the sewing!


This is the view I’m making – the pattern is McCall’s 4491


What my dress currently looks like


The fabrics up close