Meiling’s favorite ice cream flavor is strawberry. We have been letting her eat regular (dairy) strawberry ice cream, but since she really can’t have dairy either, I decided to make her some strawberry coconut milk ice cream.
So yesterday, while the boys were at the store and Mommy was taking a nap, we made the ice cream. Here is the recipe.
Strawberry Coconut Milk Ice Cream (Primal)
2 cans good-quality full-fat coconut milk
Approx. 13 frozen strawberries
2 tsp. to 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. honey
Fresh strawberries (optional)
1. Open the cans of coconut and pour them into a medium bowl.
2. Place the strawberries in a sauce pan on the stove and heat them to thaw. (You don’t want to cook them, just thaw them enough so you can break them up.) (I did mine in two batches, so don’t be surprised a there only being 8 strawberries in this pot.)
3. Mash up the strawberries until there are not many chunks left. (If you like more chunks, you can leave some more chunks. If you are using the optional strawberries, those will be chunks later, too.)
4. Add the mashed-up strawberries as well as all the other ingredients to the coconut milk.
Adding the strawberries
5. Using a stick blender or whisk, stir/blend/whisk until well combined. After it is combined, taste it, and add whatever you think it needs.
6. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s directions.
7. If using the fresh strawberries, chop them up into small pieces and add them to the ice cream when it starts being more of a solid.
I ran into a bit of trouble with my ice cream, as I left it in the ice cream maker too long. The ice cream maker wasn’t cold enough any more, so my ice cream melted. It should have been taken out sooner. So don’t make that mistake. Once it gets in the freezer, it freezes, but it is harder than it normally would be. I may melt mine again and re-freeze it. We’ll see.
I really liked the ice cream. Mom and Dad really liked the ice cream. Drake liked it, too. But Meiling didn’t. I am not quite sure why. Everyone else said that it was really good, though.
Have a lovely day!